Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"mrs bryant, i saw you in your underwear!"

Today, while walking in a nice quiet line, J (one of my student's) shouted out, "Mrs. Bryant, I saw you in your underwear!". The line quickly became a disheveled mess, as my students attempted to understand what J had just said.

Let's backtrack 12 hours: Last night, after a long day at work, Wes & I decided to go on a leisurely float down the river (pretty rough life, eh?). While we were getting out of the car and lathering ourselves in sunscreen (did you hear that mom....sunscreen!), I glanced over at two young girls who were laughing and pointing at me. I quickly realized these were J's older sisters who pick him up everyday. Within seconds, I see my wonderful, sweet & innocent little kindergartener....staring at me in my "itsy-bitsy-teenie-weenie-not-yellow-polka-dotted bikini". UMMM.....AWKWARD!!! I tried using my floaty as a robe, but it was if nothing could've eliminated or hidden the awkwardness of this moment.

Back to today's line: I kindly responded to J's comment, "Yes, J, I saw you at the river and I was wearing my bathing suit, just like you were wearing yours". My kids simply continued in line, puzzled at the awkward conversation that had just taken place.

Welcome to the life of a small-town kindergarten teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment