Monday, August 15, 2011

kindgarteners say the darnest things

Well, Monday sure came and went (thanks to our weekly 1:55 early release!). Although my kiddos were only with me for 5.5 hours instead of the typical 7, they still managed to say some pretty funny things.

Here it goes.....(I use initials for confidentiality...I'm such a good rule-following teacher)

Situation #1: One of my little boys decided to break off all the erasers of the pencils at his table. He spent 2 minutes in time-out as a result. When I went over to the corner to talk to him, this is the conversation that resulted:
Me: K, do you know why you had to sit in time-out?
K: I bwake pecils (Translation: I broke pencils)
Me: That's right. We use our erasers for erasing and we do not break them. What do you think you need to tell Mrs. Bryant for breaking the pencils? (inferring he needs to apologize)
K: (Long pause) I love youuuuuuuuu
Such a little charmer

Situation #2: The kids were quietly doing a great job completing an assessment to help me see if they'd mastered our math vocab words such as above, below, under, over, left, right etc.
Me: Okay, everybody please circle the bird that is flying over the boat.
A: (in a loud yelling voice) Mrs. Bryant, it's a seagull!
Me: A, remember we're keep our voices off right now.
A: But I can't be quiet when I know it is seagull and you just call it a bird.

Situation #3: At the end of the day, I have all my busers (teacher lingo for children who ride the bus) in the front of our line. We walk FOREVER to get outside, a challenging task for 5 year olds. The line is quiet, the kids are lined up correctly, when all of the sudden.....(note: this is the same kid as situation #2)
A: Mrs. Bryant! But I'M riding the bus today!!!
Me: You are? Are you sure? Your dad always picks you up.
A: But my dad told me to ride the bus.
Me: (double checking his theory) How are you getting home today, A?
A: (in a very nonchalant tone)My mom is picking me up.


Oh kindergarteners. How I love you (even if you drive me a bit mad)!

No comments:

Post a Comment