Friday, September 9, 2011

we may not have snow days but......

we do have "No Power days"! That's right. Yesterday at precisely 3:30ish, the power went off throughout all of Yuma (and apparently all the way to San Diego). Not to mention, it was 114 degrees at the time. Awesome. I had just said goodbye to all of my students except for one, the kid who's ride is always late (all teacher's have to have one of these kinds of parents). Ironically, the power went out while he was in the bathroom. While standing outside the door waiting for him, I heard a loud, but ridiculously cute, "What the....?". I can only imagine what that floor looked like :)

After school, I proceeded with my evening as usual. Oh except for the fact that it took me 45 minutes to make it home from my usual 6 minute commute. Oh.....and there was that other minor detail, the AC was out. Have I already mentioned that it was 114 degrees? We opted to ditch our place and hang at another teacher's house. Somehow, she seemed to be the only person in Yuma with power.

And then, much later in the evening, I heard that annoying sound that my phone makes every time I receive a text (yes, I know, a year later and I still need to change that stupid thing). Huh, why was my principal texting me at 9 pm on a school night? Thanks to the power outage, school was called off for the day and here I am enjoying a nice day with my h-band (I refuse to call Wes hubby).

We celebrated the day off by spending way too much of our morning sitting at that wonderful place we all love...the DMV....or as it is referred to as here, the MVD (weird Arizonians). I was so sad to say goodbye to my Oregon license and plates. I'm so weird about little changes like that. Am I turning into my kindergarteners?

As for the rest of our day, we plan to float the river and head to the Yuma Historical Theater for the showing of the Big Lebowski. Thank God for power outages!

Note: Our power, as well as the rest of the city's, came back on nearly one hour after school was called off. Haha. Suckers!





No comments:

Post a Comment