Monday, September 19, 2011

free meals and missing home


This last Saturday, like the loyal Duck fans we are, Wes and I attempted to watch the football game. We called every sports bar in town, hoping that at least one would be showing the Duck game. After a morning of phone calls, we finally found a great little place called Brewers that was showing the game......or so they thought. Unfortunately, even though one of their billions of sports channels claimed to be showing the Oregon game, this was simply a lie (thanks Dish network!). On a more positive note, the servers felt so bad that they'd encouraged us to come in, that they gave us both our meals for free (seriously, Yumans are incredibly generous people). Even though we were watching teams like Washington, Texas, UCLA, Notre Dame, Michigan St. rather than our favorite Duckies, at least we got to do so while enjoying free grub.

After shoving our faces, we opted to go to the Hispanic festival (note: the 16th was Mexico's Independence Day) and take a look at the low rider show. I think this picture explains how ridiculously awesome this event was.


Although we were blessed with a free meal and an incredible cultural experience at the low rider show, I must admit it was so tough not being "home" with family and friends watching the Duck game. I lost it. For the first time since being here, I cried like a baby and simply wanted to go "home". Don't get me wrong, I love my kindergarteners. I love the warm weather, the desert sunsets, the Mexican food, and floating the calm Colorado River. But dang, you Oregonians are just so cool and I miss you all so stinkin' much!
P.S. Being the true nerd I am, while sulking about missing home I worked on a 500 piece puzzle. Wes was watching tv and I didn't want him to know about my girly emotional breakdown, hence the old school headphones

1 comment:

  1. Harley, Kai, and I also had a hard time finding the game on. We went to Jackson's Bar, a sanctioned Duck Tailgate place and watched the game on the O Zone feed, Better than nothing. This week we get to watch Ariz vs Oregon at 8:15 on ESPN2 from home!!!

    ReplyDelete