Monday, October 31, 2011

vamos pa' tecate


What a weekend.....What a weekend! Como se dice...AMAZING!
This weekend we headed to an amazing ranch near Tecate, Mexico with our favorite little Vieyra family. They invited us to join them for a weekend retreat for pastor’s and their families. As always in Mexico, the weekend was lleno de exciting activities and occasions. It’d be a novel to describe the whole weekend, but here are some highlights....
-After school on Friday, we rushed from Yuma to the border. The plan was to park the car and walk across to meet the Vieyra’s for the 2 hour drive to Tecate. Samy decided to play a little prank on us and as we were walking the streets of San Luis, he snuck up behind us yelling “Hey, hey”, making us think we were either being pan-handled or robbed. We just walked faster and ignored him until Wes finally realized it was our infamous Samy Sosa.
-After a delicious breakfast on Saturday morning, both the kids and parents were stuck in conferencias, so Wes and I had the morning to ourselves. We explored the camp property until stumbling upon our friend and camp host, Israel. Before you knew it, Wes was fixing Israel’s moto and doing his favorite thing...working with tools. After a quick fix, we got to take the scooter for a test ride all over, exploring old ranchos in the middle of nowhere. It was amazing...and un poquito romantico. (I felt like I was in chick flick, riding on a little scooter with my hottie.)





minor road block 


-On Saturday afternoon I decided to revolutionize an entire country and show some Mexicanos that women can play soccer. The men were all playing a pick up game of soccer, while the ladies were sweetly cheering on the sidelines. I walked over to the field, ripped off my sweatshirt and showed those men how it was done. My two goals were the talk of the town (camp) for the rest of the evening. Like I said, it was my Mia Hamm moment. I revolutionized their minds. Haha. 

-After soccer, we went for a cool down hike to watch the sunset. Otra vez, muy romantico!


-We spent several hours playing with our favorite Cisnero boys. Here's just a few photos of the youngest, Caleb.



-Mama Lety beat me in Checkers. I’m still bitter about this one, so I’ll keep it short. She cheated. 
Wes secretly documented the cheating
-Sunday morning, my favorite little tour guide Isaac took us on a hike through the cerro (mountains). The views from the mountains around the camp are incredible and our camera/photos simply do them no justice. We met Isaac when he was 2 years old. Who’d thunk, 8 years later we’d be exploring the Mexican cerro with him. It was a sweet and surreal moment. We etched our names in the moss and made our way back down the mountain for some carne asada tacos. I think I say this a lot, but...rough life, eh?


-We were supposed to leave on Sunday at 1 pm, but didn’t get out of their until about 4:30 (oh Mexico’s sense of time!). We had an amazing road trip home, through the mountains and stopped at a panaderia (bread shop), where Samy asked me “Why do American police men eat so many donuts?”



Like I said....what a weekend. 

Side note: Our weekend took a quick turn immediately after crossing back into the U.S. late on Sunday evening. We learned that our dear friend, pastor, and grandpa to many, John Koekkoek past away. Can I just say that we wouldn’t have even been in Mexico this weekend, if it wasn’t for this man, who taught us years ago how to “improve our serve”. So to all our dearest Wright’s, Koekkoek’s and Lipp’s, we love you more than you even know...more than you even know!

No comments:

Post a Comment