Saturday, December 1, 2012

love actually is all around

(forewarning: this post may be un poco cheesy, but it is oh so true)

I absolutely love going to weddings. I swear, weddings are the best thing for already married people to attend. They truly remind you as to why you married your spouse in the first place.

 Let me explain.....

Today, my dear friend Amy was getting married after 2+ years of waiting to bring her fiance here to the States from El Salvador and we were invited to join in the exciting event. Literally 15 minutes before we were supposed to arrive at the wedding I was "griping" (actually....more like throwing a giant 5-year old tantrum) about how fat and ugly I looked in my dress (ugh...lady drama). As I whined away, Wes was patiently trying to iron his clothes and continually compliment me and avoid getting sucked into my "negative Nancy" trap.  My not-so-niceness continued, as I yelled, "HURRY UP, WE'RE GONNA BE LATE AND I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!"

And then.....we went to the wedding. We saw two BEAUTIFUL people who are madly in love gaze into each others eyes, hug, kiss, and proclaim their love for one another in front of their dearest family and friends. It's truly a beautiful thing. And while I am sitting quietly in the third row watching all of this beauty occur in front of my eyes, I daydream about my perfect wedding day, where I did the exact same thing and looked at Wes the exact same way Amy looked at Raul. And suddenly those ugly moments (just like the one 15 minutes prior to the wedding) start to drift away, as I remember that I am lucky enough to have married my best friend who will stick by me through thick and thin. That life with him is better than anything else in the world.

So....to Amy and Raul, I say CONGRATULATIONS and thank you for reminding me of the joys of marriage.




And to Wes, I say...sorry buddy for my ridiculousness this morning. Thanks for sticking by me and making me laugh even when I have my not-so-pretty moments. I love you more and more every day because of it.


Finally, since I am in a major mushy mood and my husband is out for a much-deserved evening with his car buddies, I shall finish the evening with my favorite Christmasy movie of all time, Love Acually, because c'mon people, "If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around. "

No comments:

Post a Comment